Photography: Adam Schwartz 2021
Joe Davis is a 19-year-old professional photographer. Born in England, he began snapping photographs at an early age, and solidified his passion after migrating to Jamaica at the age of 10. Participating in photography-related extra-curricular activities at his past high-school, Campion College,
Joe has perfect pitch and chromesthesia which allows him to see musical notes in various colors. He plays more than 12 instruments including piano, voice, electric bass, guitar, drums, steelpan, recorder, and mixed percussion. He is currently attending the Berklee College of Music in Boston on a scholarship and pursuing a degree in Contemporary Writing and Production (CWP).
Joe has performed at numerous internationally recognized venues including South by Southwest (SXSW), The Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival, Kings House, The Ranny Williams Entertainment Center, and UNESCO Transcultura. He has also attained 1 million views across numerous social media platforms, recognized by celebrity figures such as Jacob Collier, Tori Kelly, Masego, Protojé, Chronixx, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Quest Love, James Poyser and Eric Moore II.
Joe has released two studio albums, which are both available on all streaming platforms under the artist name "Joe Davis".
• Was the first person to ever receive a distinction in the ARSM Diploma exam in Jamaica and the only person to receive a distinction in 2018 in Jamaica.
• Accepted to the Idyllwild Arts Academy, recognized as the best performing arts school in The United States of America.
• Recognized by celebrity figures such as Jacob Collier, Tori Kelly, Protojé, Shontelle, Maségo, Chronixx, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Usain Bolt, Lila Iké & Quest Love.
• Accepted to the Berklee College of Music, recognized as the best contemporary music college in The United States of America.
• Performed with Jesús Molina at a Berklee-organized concert.
• Performed "The Star-Spangled Banner", in honor of Vice-President-Elect Kamala Harris, at 'A Golden State Celebrate', hosted by The California State Society.
• Performed at the Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival 2021.
• Over 1 million views across Instagram, YouTube & TikTok social media platforms.
• Co-Founded The Garden JA, a platform for upcoming Jamaican musicians to showcase their talent.
• Arranged 3 concerts, and released two albums in 2021.
• Performed at South by Southwest (SXSW) with artists Tessellated and Jaz Elise in 2022.
It was prodigy Joe Davis, who was most impressive.
The youngster — who has just been accepted to the famous Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts in the US — served warning that he is one to watch for the future. If one was taken by his diversity of the musical styles within his set and smooth vocals, then his talent on multiple musical instruments was simply jaw-dropping.
Seventeen-year-old Jamaican multi-instrumentalist, Joseph Davis, has been compared to American singer-songwriter Stevie Wonder. His ability to effortlessly deliver impressive vocal arrangements, accompanied by outstanding instrumentation, has set the youngster apart from many of his peers. In fact, his talent afforded him the chance of performing the Star-Spangled Banner. One may remember him for the spectacular arrangement at
a virtual ceremony in US Vice President Kamala Harris’ honour last month. But while he is flattered by the Stevie Wonder comments and comparisons, Davis told The Sunday Gleaner that his ultimate goal in music is to build a brand for himself.
-Jacob Collier (5x Grammy Winner)
-Quest Love (The Roots)
"Joe Davis - That's an incredible
brotha right there!"
-DJ Jazzy Jeff (Fresh Prince of Bel Air)
-Shontelle (Platinum Recording Artist/Songwriter)
-Lila Iké (Award-Winning Recording Artist/Songwriter)
"His ability to effortlessly deliver impressive vocal arrangements, accompanied by outstanding instrumentation, has set the youngster apart from many of his peers."
-Jamaica Gleaner (Newspaper)
"The youngster served warning that he is one to watch for the future.."
-Jamaica Observer (Newspaper)